Codes and Standards, Operations, Policy and Planning, Project Management
4 Year Degree
Position Title: Vice President, Vehicle Maintenance JSN: 8761 Department: Chief Transit Officer Date: November 2018 Reports to: Chief Transit Officer Safety Sensitive: No At Will: Yes
Plans, directs and coordinates the principal planning and operating functions of the Bus and Rail Maintenance operations, programs, activities and personnel. Balance the need to meet budget marks and improve ridership, while moving the organization toward a customer focus. Eliminate safety problems through increased security and minimization of service delays.
1. 25% Oversees the, programs, procedures and objectives to ensure that high qualities of bus and rail maintenance services are provided in a safe, efficient and expeditious manner. Oversees communication between the incident site, management and responding personnel during planned and unplanned service disruptions and equipment issues.
2. 15% Establishes and executes programs to meet Authority objectives and develops an organization that will hold accountable and effectively administer the responsibilities and functions of Maintenance areas.
3. 15% Confers with and assists the Chief Transit Officer in formulating longer-term goals and objectives and in the administration of policies and programs. Performs duties of the Chief Transit Officer in the Chief Transit Officer’s absence.
4. 10% Develops and administers a uniform concept of management ensuring that personnel within each of the divisions possess a comprehensive understanding of assigned responsibilities.
5. 5% Coordinates all bus and rail maintenance operations activities to insure peak service levels are met twice a day.
6. 5% Responsible for maintaining sufficient security levels in order to protect customers, employees and facilities.
7. 5% Meets and interfaces with the public and the media as well as various levels of management from other transit jurisdictions and representatives from various governmental agencies and develops and fosters relationships which will be beneficial to the Authority.
8. 5% Keeps Chief Transit Officer, Mechanical Officers and General Managers apprised of information and performance indicators relative to special projects, plans and programs as assigned.
9. 5% Keeps abreast of new developments and advancements within the areas of Bus and Rail Maintenance.
10. 5% Hires, trains, develops, monitors, and evaluates performance of staff. Reviews and recommends personnel actions for approval.
11. 5% Performs related Duties as assigned
Reporting to this position are the following jobs:
Mechanical Officer – Bus
Mechanical Officer – Rail
Senior Manager, Administration
Maintaining required service and maintenance levels under adverse conditions; i.e. weather, construction and staffing.
Improving operation efficiencies in all areas by providing areas with necessary tools and skills to keep updated.
Minimizing service delays, especially during unforeseen incidents or events.
Keeping abreast of new developments and advancements within the field of Vehicle Maintenance.
Bachelor’s degree, plus ten (10) years of experience implementing vehicle maintenance programs, of which five (5) years is in a supervisory or management role, of an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possess extensive managerial experience at the executive level.
Must maintain Rail Safety and Incident Commander cards.
Must possess valid driver’s license.
Requires sitting for extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity, and fingering for working with computer keyboards.
Must be capable of walking elevated structures and rail yards.
Must be able to work around energized 600 volt DC electrical current, moving trains and equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Detailed knowledge of principles, policies, and practices of vehicle maintenance and related programs.
Detailed knowledge of the operations, services, and activities of comprehensive maintenance, installation, and repair programs.
Detailed knowledge of pertinent local, state and federal laws, rules, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements.
Detailed knowledge of the methods and practices in budget planning and administration.
Detailed knowledge of the principles of team building, motivation, delegation, and conflict resolution.
Detailed knowledge of the methods and principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
Strong leadership skills.
Strong organizational skills.
Strong written and oral communications skills for directing and supervising the work of managerial, professional, technical and clerical staff.
Strong organization, financial, presentation and operational skills.
Ability to manage and think on a large scale over multiple projects.
Ability to drive results by identifying and resolving significant problems within scope of responsibility
Ability to deal professionally, courteously, and tactfully with the public and coworkers.
Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of Authority and departmental goals.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
General office environment.
Required to travel to various CTA, vendor, and transit property locations.
Subject to normal garage/shop hazards such as noise, dust, grease, moving Vehicles, etc., when visiting field locations.
Subject to weather conditions when visiting field locations.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
Standard office equipment.
Personal computer and related software.
Internal Number: 8761
About Chicago Transit Authority
Our mission is to deliver quality, affordable transit services that link people, jobs and communities.Chicago Transit Authority employees keep nearly 1.7 million people in Chicago and 35 suburbs moving every weekday. The success of our transit system is a direct result of our skilled and dedicated workforce.Our employees keep Chicago moving. So can you.Join the CTA family by visiting our careers page at www.transitchicago.com/careers!