The ideal candidate for this position is inspired by making a difference to customers in the water and wastewater communities across the world. Your focus will be supporting our sales and marketing efforts by traveling with our sales reps to customer sites, engineering firms, and trade shows to give presentations with our sales representative network.
To thrive within this position, you will need to enjoy being with yourself for long periods of time while traveling. You will drive through urban and rural settings across the United States and into Canada, working in partnership with our network of representatives to schedule customer presentations and assure that the resource of the trailer is fully utilized. This position requires that you take pride in presenting Duperon equipment, and that you love being the face of our company to our representatives and customers. Assuring that the truck and trailer is clean, organized and well-stocked is a critical accountability in this role. You must also assure adherence to DOT driving rules and perform or schedule regular vehicle and trailer maintenance while on the road or at home. You will be required to represent our distinct culture to our customers, representatives, and team. We are not interested in conducting “business as usual”; everyone you contact should experience extraordinary service and partnership.
You will need to display an attitude that has proven to be customer-focused, which will have you deliver on the promises you make with integrity. You must convey our company standard of “you’ll like working with us!” to all you contact. You are on the team to generate sales.
The below is an overview of the essential functions of this position; however, the specific duties listed with each are a summation.
Scheduling and Maintenance
- You will work with representatives and regional sales managers to create a three month rolling calendar.
- You will be required to manage requests for support as well as seek time in territory with representatives. You must manage your travel schedule to assure that you are on time for all commitments, with a truck and trailer in “show ready” condition.
- It is critical that you be agile with scheduling changes. The Duperon® Demo Trailer is a vital sales and marketing tool, and it is important that it be as productive as possible. Assuring this sometimes means making accommodations to assist representatives in closing a sale.
- You will be required to consider the seasons and climate as you schedule your calendar, remaining in the south in the winter and reserving travel in the mountains and northern areas for summer months.
- You will be required to attend certain trade shows as well as company meetings (scheduled well in advance for planning purposes).
- You will be accountable for the maintenance schedule of the truck and trailer. Routine maintenance, such as oil changes and tire rotation, can be performed while on the road. Annual maintenance or major repairs should be performed in Michigan unless emergency dictates otherwise.
- It is vital that the truck and trailer be kept impeccably clean, neat, and organized. It is important that you understand that each site and customer will view the truck and trailer as a direct reflection of our company. You will be required to mop floors, wipe counters, and shop for and stock supplies, as well as beverages and snacks.
- You will work in partnership with the marketing department to assure that the trailer is stocked with marketing materials, such as brochures and giveaways for those who attend presentations.
- Your travel schedule will vary dependent on the needs of our representatives and customers.
- A typical schedule puts you on the road for 2-3 weeks at a stretch, followed by a week at home. While home you may need to spend some time in the office to handle truck/trailer maintenance, upgrades, etc.
- Travel to Canada requires that you have a working understanding of customs, and that you work in partnership with the marketing department to assure that you have the correct paperwork for each crossing. You must allow time in your schedule for potential delays, and have patience for the process.
- Safe driving habits are vital, along with daily inspections of the vehicle and trailer. All defects, repairs and maintenance must be documented.
- You must maintain a good driving record to remain insured, as well as to retain a Class A-CDL endorsement.
- Each representative and territory has its own style. You must learn to adapt to what works for each, while assuring that the information presented is in line with Duperon culture and the most current product information. This may require that you support and answer questions; in some territories, you may be the main presenter.
- In this role, it is crucial that you know your audience and present information in a way that meets their needs and shows an understanding of the issues they are working to solve.
- You must bring the voice of the customer back to our internal team. While traveling, it is vital that you listen for the issues customers are trying to solve, and that you report what you are hearing.
- You will be required to complete daily DOT logs and assure you are adhering to all the DOT requirements, working with the HR manager on any issues that may arise.
- You will be required to schedule your DOT physicals through the HR manager.
- You will submit weekly reports (Sunday-Sunday) detailing the sites and firms visited, along with any information gathered from those visits.
- You will submit weekly visitor logs gathered from visits.
- You will submit all receipts and expenses to marketing on a weekly basis for expense reports.
- You must record and track vehicle maintenance logs and complete safety inspections in accordance with DOT and state requirements. This includes securing permits for use in states where required.
- You will document and report any issues with the vehicle/trailer while on the road to the Controller/CFO.
- Follow the rules for reporting any damage or accident while on the road.
- Report any citations/tickets you receive to the HR manager within 24 hours.