JOB APPLICATIONS WANTED
TITLE: Chief Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
LOCATION: City of Ithaca - Department of Public Works
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is the chief administrative, supervisory and technical position of the Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility, which is a Type 4-A Wastewater Treatment Plant with facilities for the activated sludge process (including all modifications) with a plant point score of 76 points or greater. The incumbent supervises and directs the operation and maintenance of the Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility (IAWWTF) in a manner which meets or exceeds all environmental regulatory compliance standards and ensures an efficient and economical use of personnel, resources, energy, equipment, materials and supplies. In addition to supervising daily operational activities, the incumbent also oversees the administration of specialized programs, including industrial pretreatment, trucked waste, sludge disposal, head works loading analyses, chemical bulk storage, petroleum bulk storage, and anaerobic digestion. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Assistant Superintendent of Public Works (Water and Sewer), with wide leeway allowed for planning work methods and dealing with emergency conditions. Supervision is exercised over operators, trainees, laboratory personnel and mechanical and maintenance assistants. The Chief Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator must possess the required certificate for a Type 4-A plant which he or she supervises in accordance with the provisions of Part 650 of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation regulations. Does related work as required.
For a Type 4 A activated sludge Wastewater Treatment Plant with a Plant Point Score of 76 points or greater:
All candidates must qualify under Sections A, B, C and D:
- A Bachelor of Science degree from a duly accredited university or school. This degree is not restricted to an engineering or natural science major; or
- A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from a duly accredited university or school, with thirty (30) credit hours of math and/or science courses; or
- An Associate in Applied Science degree from a duly accredited university or school in a NYSDEC approved curriculum and eighteen (18) months operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant; or
- An Associate in Applied Science degree from a duly accredited university or school and three (3) years operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant; or
- An Associate of Arts degree from a duly accredited university or school, with thirty (30) credit hours of math and/or science courses, plus three (3) years operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and six (6) years operating experience at a wastewater treatment plant;
- Satisfactory completion of an appropriate course of instruction approved by the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation;
- Twenty-four (24) months of satisfactory experience in the actual operation of an activated sludge wastewater treatment plant with a plant point score of 76 or greater. [Note: this experience is in addition to that required in Sections A(b), A(c), A(d) and A(e)];
- Five (5) years of full-time paid supervisory experience in a Type 4-A activated sludge Wastewater Treatment Plant, or its part-time paid equivalent.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a Grade 4-A certificate issued under the provisions of Part 650 of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation regulations at the time of appointment, and maintenance of said certificate for the duration of employment.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be residents of New York State.
EXAM REQUIREMENTS: An exam will be given at a later date.
APPLICATION MATERIALS REQUIRED:
- City of Ithaca application
- High school and/or college transcripts
- Copy of Grade 4-A certificate
Applications must be received by the City of Ithaca Human Resources Department no later than 4:30 PM EST on the last submission date indicated below. Postmarks are not accepted. All applications must be original applications. We do not accept faxed applications, electronic applications or photocopies of applications.
Submit required application materials by Friday, April 14, 2017 to:
City of Ithaca
Human Resources Department
108 East Green Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Web site: www.cityofithaca.org
The City of Ithaca is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversifying its workforce.
Issued: February 27, 2017