The Process Analyst II performs professional, independent work providing research, analysis, and advice to management on operational systems or production organizational processes designed to improve production to meet and exceed compliance requirements and fiscal stability. This position collaborates to manage chemical and energy utilization to optimize all inputs into the process; researches opportunities for new technology that assists process control/optimization efforts; supports process modeling; monitors and improves product quality; provides process trainings to operators; understands and completes all regulatory required reports and documents on a monthly and annual basis; reviews daily data quality.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead/manage cross-functional process improvement initiatives.
- Optimizes complex chemical and biological systems to make them more cost effective and stable.
- Investigates, researches, and develops solutions to address production issues and impacting costs, schedules, sustainability and/or compliance.
- Consults with project managers and engineering design firm's process experts regarding new and upgraded treatment processes and methods.
- Evaluates, initiates, and revises processes and technologies. This includes initial data gathering, analysis of the existing systems, brainstorming, initial process and design, small and large pilot scale testing, plan reviews, startup troubleshooting and long term optimization.
- Participates and/or leads in design planning sessions.
- Develops and conducts pilot work on new equipment, processes and chemicals.
- Develops new processes to optimize plant operation and shares progress/results internally and externally.
- Conducts technical wastewater process research on the internet, technical journals and at conferences. Writes and presents professional papers.
- Serves as a resource to other staff, external stakeholders, and consultants regarding the wastewater treatment plant processes.
- Conducts technical tours of plants.
- Responds to engineering consultant requests for data and techniques developed and used at treatment plant.
- Assists and coordinates plant process operations associated with plants' Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems (SCADA). Monitors and evaluates trends and data for production.
- Responds to emergency situations as necessary. Uses safe work practices and follows the AlexRenew's safety policies and procedures. Participates in safety teams and training.
- Participates in communications training programs. Shares information as requested about position and tasks with communications team. As requested, participates in various outreach activities.
- Integrates sustainability objectives into daily work and decision making.
- Actively promotes safe behaviors and health awareness in the execution of daily tasks.
- Understands and applies Lean/Six Sigma principles.
- Other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, chemistry, environmental sciences or related engineering desired; Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Five (5) years’ experience with a focus on advanced wastewater treatment and reclamation process development or optimization, development of operational cost models preferred.
- Virginia Wastewater Works Operator licensure a plus.
- Independently identify, research and analyze complex technical problems, processes and procedures.
- Advanced research methods including complex data collection and statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of pertinent permits and regulations.
- Review and interpret engineering reports.
- Use of computers and computer software for word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and computer modeling.
- Write and present technical information at conferences or local and regional professional gatherings.
- Develop, organize and operate complex pilot testing of equipment, chemicals or processes develop innovative solutions and strategies to improve reliability and cost-effectiveness of technical processes.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including a variety of AlexRenew and other government officials, community groups, and the general public.
- Operate effectively in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of this job, typical with office work, include lifting up to 48 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, as well as outdoor on-site evaluations, pilot testing and investigations.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.