East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD), an industry-leading water and wastewater utility headquartered in Oakland, California, is seeking a professional our Director of Wastewater position.
The Director of Wastewater is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, staffing, and administering all activities of the Wastewater Department to ensure efficiency and maximum operational effectiveness. Four major divisions report to the Director: Wastewater Engineering, which is responsible for technical support and capital design and construction management; Wastewater Treatment Operations, which includes operations and maintenance work for the main treatment plant, recycled water plants, interceptor systems and pumping plants; Environmental Services, which includes management of pre-treatment/pollution protection programs, interface with users and inspection services, and management of the Wet Weather and Resources Recovery Programs; and Laboratory Services, which provides analytical support for both wastewater and water activities.
Requires a professional engineering license in the state of California, and possess proven leadership and wastewater management skills and technical expertise. Of primary importance is the candidate’s ability to effectively manage a broad range of wastewater programs in a progressive and efficient manner.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s or graduate degree in engineering or a related field; eight to ten years of progressively responsible supervisory or management experience in wastewater engineering and operations; and a grade V wastewater treatment
certificate. They will also demonstrate:
• strong leadership and management skills including demonstrated ability to provide direction to widely diverse operations;
• effective interpersonal and communication skills with experience in working with a wide variety of people, agencies
and political boards;
• creative and positive results-oriented attitude with excellent problem solving skills;
• commitment to working actively and cooperatively in a team environment;
• proven ability to manage complex, multi-faceted programs involving significant staff, funding, public contact and a wide
variety of technical disciplines;
• high standards of personal/professional ethics and integrity;
• innovation and a willingness to take risks to advance organizational objectives; and
• political sensitivity and astuteness in dealing with all levels within the organization and with other entities.
See recruitment brochure for information about the position.